Terrascan's architecture is built to be modular to facilitate adding IaC languages and policies. At a high level Terrascan is composed of the following architectural components: a command line interface, API server, runtime, pluggable IaC providers, pluggable policy engine, notifier, and writer.
- Command Line Interface = Provides CLI input to Terrascan.
- API Server = Provides input to Terrascan through an API.
- Runtime = Performs input validation and process inputs
- IaC Providers = Converts IaC language into normalized JSON
- Policy Engine = Applies policies against normalized JSON
- Notifier = Provides webhooks for results of Terrascan scans.
- Writer = Writes results into various formats like JSON, YAML, or XML.